Saturday, May 20, 2017

Heart Song


I want to see “that look” on my children’s faces again – even if only one more time. They are grown-ups now; full-blown adults with work, worries, bills, and children of their own. But my heart so wants to see -  even fleetingly, even for a moment, even if only that one more time – that look that says, “I’m so happy. I know you can protect me, make it possible, keep me safe, give me just what I need.  I trust you. I’m glad you’re my Mom.” You know that look. It’s life-affirming. Those moments in your life when your heart literally sings, when nothing else in the universe exists except for that moment and the way you feel, are not common.

I should tell you that I truly admire my children as adults. They are awesome partners, parents, friends, leaders, and mentors. Special magic - a gift of grace  -  which by definition is a good gift that comes to us undeserved – is given to parents. It happens somewhere in that fleeting moment in time between the first warm snuggle with your new baby and the day that your baby says good-bye and for the first time you are not going with them. There is a piece of my heart that will forever look through these eyes and see my babies in my arms, hear their childish giggles entwined in today’s laughter, and wonder again if I’ve given them everything they will need, as though I was packing them a lunch.

Then … there it was.  I saw that cherished look on my grandchild’s face, looking up at my child the parent. And mirrored in the face of my child.  And I am pretty sure my mother could see it on my face, too. Four generations of hearts singing the same song.  It’s a song shared by generations, resonating in every culture and recognized in every language.  It’s a song I hope you have the privilege to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment